OntarioDance.com Forum Index
FAQ  FAQ Search  Search Memberlist  Memberlist Usergroups  Usergroups Register  Register Profile  Profile Log in to check your private messages  Log in to check your private messages Log in  Log in
Favourite/Least Favourite Venues in Ontario

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingQueen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Favourite/Least Favourite Venues in Ontario Reply with quote

I find that my daughter complains now and then about the dance floor being old and slippery or that the stage itself was too small for the routines, but in general, she dances at whatever location without complaint.

Last year, we went to a competition in London, Ontario that was not set up with a stage...it was built up at one end of a dance hall so not only was it hard to dance on but there was no "off stage/side stage"...just black curtains at the perimeter.

It was a nightmare for all these kids yet this venue is continuously being booked. I don't understand why studios continue to attend this location when the facility is so ill-equipped for dance.
interestindance
Second Star

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's disappointing when you get a competition and the venue isn't great or when they're so small that your lines and productions don't fit the stage.

Some of our favourite have been the Sanderson Theatre in Brantford, the River Run Centre in Guelph, the Rose Theatre in Brampton and the high school in Grand Island where Showstopper holds its competition.

The worst one ever was in Florida. We attended a nationals in Orlando for DEA if I remember correctly. It was in a hotel and the stage was level to the seating....just a parquet floor in front of folding chairs. I flew all the way there and i never did see my kids compete....it was awful.
kaye
First Star

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my least favourite is the armenian theatre in north york. that's been the only stage/floor my dd has ever complained about. come to think of it, it was probably the worst competition we've ever been to! dance extravaganza - WHAT A NIGHT MARE!!!!
mammalatte
First Star

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worst is the Opera House in Orillia. The change rooms are these little, ancient, ill equipped rooms that you can only get to by going up huge amounts of stairs, stairs, stairs. You can't get backstage to the dressing rooms unless you use a separate entrance that is outside. Worst venue ever.

I also don't like when they set up ballrooms where the show is on end of the room on a little bit of floor, no proper raised stage with proper flooring, and no proper wings or backstage area to "run around" or keep props or whatever.

The stage on the Armenian center I agree is slippery and dressing room areas with privacy are sorely lacking.

Best venues are ones that are full-fledged proper theatres also used for professional usages, or smaller local companies. If they have a nice backstage and real dressing rooms, excellent light and sound and proper seating in the theatre that's the best. Places like the John Basset Theatre or the Rose Theatre or River Run Centre or Brock University, York University -- they are a pleasure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OntarioDance.com Forum Index -> Everything All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: