OntarioDance.com Forum Index
FAQ  FAQ Search  Search Memberlist  Memberlist Usergroups  Usergroups Register  Register Profile  Profile Log in to check your private messages  Log in to check your private messages Log in  Log in
Is this Message Board better than the old one?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is this Message Board better than the old one?
Yes
67%
 67%  [ 19 ]
No
25%
 25%  [ 7 ]
Don't Know
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 28

admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Is this Message Board better than the old one? Reply with quote

We are making improvements to the OntarioDance.com DanceBoard. What do you think so far?

Last edited by admin on Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
twotapstogo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the design, but good luck controlling the some of the venom. Think of this as a fresh start everyone and take on a fresh new attitude when posting.
toomanytutus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a lot of it will depend on how involved the moderators are! The old board was pretty good until people realized there was no one supervising it.
sweetfeet

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes O O The thing that I loved about the old post was the unrestricted replies and comments. It was beautiful. How is this different?
dima

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
This new board is definitely an improvement. I agree that, as long as it is monitored, it should prove to be a success.

I don't think that peoples opinions should be censored but bad language, if any, should be. Wink
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad you all like the new message board!
It will be monitored and hopefully we won't have to ban anyone from this wonderful board.

Please spread the news to your friends at your dance studio and we will be launching a new and improved OntarioDance.com website soon!

jess.harrison

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like this message board alot. It's alot easyer to read and easyer to use. The only thing is I would put something on the front of the site, or find a way to tell more people about it other then word of mouth. Otherwise I love! Very Happy
mammalatte
First Star

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Very nice... Reply with quote

EXcellent!!! Finally a board that is more technically stable! It is easier to navigate and read, cleaner over all.

Good luck to you!

Oh! And just a few suggestions....

- clearly state your board usage rules and regulations and what types of things will cause users to be banned
- ensure monitors regularly check for posts that are contrary to your posting rules

Some thoughts on rules...

- no profanity or foul language allowed
- noone should openly criticize a studio owner or dancer in a malicious way -- its okay to give feedback but not okay to post unsubstantiated, defamatory things that might affect someone's business or livelihood or career
- keep it PG (young kids dance too...and may be on this board)
- the focus is on dance -- not religion or politics or current affairs or sex -- dance...
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mammalatte,

Thank you for your input and for the last while we have been working on just that. I look forward to your posts.

Keep dancing,
admin
Sophisticated_lady
Third Star

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only way to truly know is to see how many ppl have come back to check the meesage board. in my opinion i like the old message board, i feel im not the only one considering the lack of messages on the message board.
R.D.A. studio
Second Star

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm noticing that some of my posts go missing after a few days. I recently posted one regarding a workshop with Blake McGrath at Rugcutterz and today it's gone. People had responded to it so I know it was there. This has happend before. Why is this happening?
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi RDA Studio,
OntarioDance.com would like to keep the thread topics together to create an easier time for readers. So if you are posting the same message in different areas (ie one in Everything and one in Dance Styles) they will be linked together in the appropriate area.

Thanks for letting us know about your concern,
dance_chicka
First Star

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe there should also be a workshop topic.
get the pointe
Third Star

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Unfortunately, it is too clear that people prefer the other board...NO ONE IS USING THIS!! Not for information sharing or issues-just for announcements. Gone is the venemous gossiping-that's ok, but it seems like this board is not serving a purpose. Is there a way to make it more relevant?
dancechauffer
First Star

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WARNING.....really long winded....sorry.

Get the Pointe brings up a valid comment. It does seem like traffic is down at this site, although according to the counters beside the various topics, it appears that hundreds, are still reading the comments, just not posting or replying.

I have a theory on why that is...

Unlike other activities, like skating, hockey, gymnastics etc., dance does not have a governing body. Each studio does its own thing and nobody oversees this.

As a result the studios operate in a vacuum.which makes them secretive about their programs, competitions etc. In hockey there are league standings available for everyone to see .You know who the top players are and where each team stands. In skating, competitors are posted on competition web site weeks before the event. You can even find out who is taking a test to advance to the next competitive level....all on-line.

You just have to look at the posts on this board to know that nobody wants to talk about the 'top dancers" or the 'top studios." As soon as those topics come up, it turns into a brawl or nobody responds for fear of starting a brawl. I would love to know how Joanne Chapman dancers all seem to be so flexible or how Bojangles dancers can all spin on a dime. Do they have extra classes for those tricks...how often.....what is the harm in sharing that information?

I find that whenever someone poses a question on this board, you rarely get answers or if you do, people don't want to identify what school they are with. Why is that?

Even among some friends who have children at other studios I find that getting information out of them is tricky. What is the big deal if I know where you'll be competing?

Yes each studio is individually owned, but that doesn't mean that we can't all share information and learn from one another. Part of it comes from studio owners too I'm sure. They're so worried that they're going to lose dancers to someone else.

The reality is nobody can be solicited unless they are already unhappy and thinking of leaving. I would think that most teachers have enourgh confidence in their abilities to retain the majority of their students from one year to another and if they lose a few, they should know they'll quickly replace them . You're always going to get some who leave for various reasons. Wouldn't it be great if we could all share our experiences so that dancers can make informed decisions.

If someone shares a valid concern about a studio, it shouldn't automatically start a series of insulting attacks back and forth. It should merely be noted and then move on.

I often approach dancers at other schools at competitions and congratulate them. I also talk to the other parents and find out how often they train...how many teachers....etc. Often the schools are in a different city or even a different country, but I personally like learning about studio's practices, especially when they're good. I can't see that being a bad thing. It doesn't take away from the studio my child is at.

Anyway, I know this was long, but I really think we should use this board as a way to exchange valid information. By coming together as a community dance can finally start to receive more recognition from the media and within the community. Wouldn't it be great if every studio had full classes every night of the week. Imagine your kid not being the only kid in his or her class taking dance. I think for the people who are still visitng this board, we should be committed to sharing information and working together to spread information about dance in general to our friends so that the popularity of dance grows and that's in everyone's best interest.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OntarioDance.com Forum Index -> Everything All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: